Friday, October 9, 2009

Last night we walked 5K for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light The Night Walk. The weather was beautiful, and a good time was had by all. I'm proud to say that Team Daniel raised over $4400 for leukemia research!!

When we walked past Sick Kids, we looked up to see dozens of kids waiting at the windows, shining their flashlights down at us and waving. As you looked up the building, every floor was empty, until you got to the 8th floor. Home of the oncology department, the 8th floor was packed with kids waving and cheering for us. And we waved and cheered right back at them.

I thought then about what this weekend really means, and what I will be thankful for. Of course I am grateful that Daniel has done so well on this journey, and that we are nearing the end of treatment. But I am also so very thankful for the "silver linings" we have found along the way. We have met some amazing people, felt the love and support of our family and friends, learned patience and appreciation for the smaller pleasures in life, and been humbled by the breadth and depth of human compassion. We have grown stronger as people, and closer as a family. And I have seen a strength and maturity in both of my kids that makes me very proud to be their mom.

Daniel, you are the love of my life, and I will always be on your team.

1 comment:

Calamity Jen said...

Marlene, that's beautiful!